Thursday, July 9, 2009

Facebook Friends, really?

I am sorry I haven't been around much (or at all) in the last week or so. Like I said before, I haven't entirely figured out what to write about on here.

Anyhow, I promised to share random life ramblings and this is something that bothers the hell out of me...

If we have barely met (or just met once with little or no conversation between us), why would you ask me to be friends on Facebook?

I get it...I should be flattered. Someone thought I was nice. Whatever. If we didn't speak much or there was no promise of getting together or introducing you to my friend or whatever the hell it is people talk about, then don't add me. It leads to the inevitable awkwardness that will happen if I see you again and you know I left you in Facebook rot (read: you just let someone with their friend request sit in limbo, neither accepting them nor denying them) or the weirdness of knowing that I hardly know you but I felt bad because we knew some of the same people so I felt the need to add you but now you know all about me because you Facebook stalked me. I know that I could just say no, but this always seems to happen with a friend of someone I like, so there's a good chance I will see them again.

I bring this up because this has happened to me TWICE recently. We went to visit friend's out of town a couple of months ago and the wife of the couple we were visiting had another couple in town. The wife of the in town couple added me as a friend even though I spoke to her a grand total of 5 minutes. She is married with two kids and has all sorts of pictures of her making out with other girls in bars on her page...I don't want to know this about you! Then over the 4th, a friend had a BBQ and her cousin-in-law showed up with her husband. They were both very nice people and in fact I am in the JL with the cousin-in-law...fast forward to the next monday and the husband has sent me a Facebook friend request! We didn't talk to each other beyond "My name is Sarah...nice to meet you."

I don't get it, you guys. I just don't get it. I am not an asshole, but really? Save us all the ridiculousness and don't add me unless we have a relationship of some sort.

Thanksomuch.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I totally understand. I didn't used to discriminate on my FB friends but it's getting a little ridiculous ... I think it's time for a mass purge. But I just can't bring myself to do it!

Oh, PS ... so, I'll friend you later, right? ;)

sarah said...

Every time I go to do a mass purge, I only end up deleting 1 or 2 people! I end up feeling bad for deleting someone that I haven't talked to in 2 years!?!?!!

Brit said...

Ahaha. This post is great. I haven't added any new people lately, and people haven't added me, so I haven't given this much though. But like the others, I think I am overdue for a purging of friends (wow, that sounds bad).