Monday, September 21, 2009

City Confidential


So remember this incident?

Well, I didn't tell you, dear readers, where we stayed...


Remember how I told you that I wasn't staying at a Best Western? I was serious.

Pretty swanky lobby, no? What isn't pictured is the nice gentlemen who wait at the elevator and sometimes even check your key if they think you don't belong in their establishment (not that that happened to me or anything...)

Overall, very nice hotel. Good service (barring the whole locked out of the room thing...but even then they were nice). Great location (right on Central Park). A little traffic-y (one of the drawbacks of being right by the park, I guess). Would have definitely recommended it to a friend.

Fast forward to this weekend...

Woman is Found Strangled at Luxury Hotel on Central Park

In case you are too lazy to click on the link I will give you the run down...a woman from Dubai had been living in the hotel (Essex House) since August (WHEN I WAS STAYING THERE) and was found dead (and naked) in her apartment Saturday afternoon with a knife still in her neck. The head of housekeeping has been arrested in the murder (and attempted rape)...he used his Master Key to get into the apartment and commit the murder.

An even scarier account of things that makes the NY Times article look tame.


Is this not the scariest thing you have ever heard?


All I need is something else to add to my neuroses.

21 comments:

rootsandrings said...

Umm.. Whoa.

Carol said...

Ohhh my gosh!! That is SO SCARYY!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

Sheesh. Now THAT is scary. I'm glad I won't be staying in a hotel by myself anytime soon.

Miss Emily Anne said...

OMG. This world is full of crazies!

Sunshinemeg said...

Oh dear lord! Insane.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

You really do need to stop reading the news. REALLY.

carrie1 said...

That's a little freaky.

landlocked bride said...

Oh, that's creepy!

Cee said...

That is so creepy...maybe I am too into the Shining but something about hotels...even nice ones scares me a little.

This isn't going to help that!

amy kelinda said...

Some people are seriously sick. It is always incredibly eerie to know that this person (housekeeping) was IN THE SAME BUILDING as you. Ugh.

Midtown Girl said...

Yes, I read about it too - total nightmare and SICK AS HELL.

Kristin said...

OMG, I will NEVER stay in a hotel along again. Ahhhhhhh

anotherfishinthesea said...

ummmm the fact that if you roll over the nytimes link, part of the link is the word "slay"... pretty indicative of the situation.
Scary!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

That is so creepy! This is why I always push that lever over the latch to physically prevent anyone from coming inside when you're in the room. Or at least if they tried you would hear them trying to break the door down and could call for help. Maybe her hotel didn't have one? Terrible.

Michelle said...

Scary! Hubby and I are going to NYC this weekend.

Cee said...

On a less creepy note...I gave you an award!

Just Add Walter said...

oh my gosh... that is awful and totally would be freaking me out too!! glad YOU are ok!

Samma said...

That is terrifying- so glad to read it right before I go to NYC :)

Jill said...

ahh! that is NUTS! but that hotel looks gorgeous nonetheless...

Mrs. Sitcom said...

How scary!!!! At least you weren't there. I just don't expect stuff like that to happen in an expensive hotel! Something freaky like that happened at the place we stayed for our honeymoon, but it was before we stayed there....!

mamagooch said...

Ummm wow. To answer your question - YES - that is the scariest thing I've ever heard!!