Thursday, September 3, 2009

"I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right..."

"...but I am never wrong."

Has anyone ever heard this quote before? I hadn't but Google must be trying to make it back on my good side because that little nugget was offered up as my "Funny Quote of the Day." I think it sensed today's topic brewing in my mind. Nice work, Google. You're not back in the fold quite yet, but it's baby steps.

Funny Quote of the Day - Samuel Goldwyn - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong."

Which brings me to the subject at hand...

I have bad news for a majority of my readers.

At the time I am typing this, I have received 85 total votes on the Christmas stocking poll. Of those votes, 79% of you were wrong. Completely wrong.

Why would you open stockings first?!? THIS IS WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

I was hoping you guys would pick up on my subtle subliminal hints I was sending you. Here was my description of before and after: One of us believes that on Christmas morning, stockings should be opened first, BEFORE you get to all of the presents. The theory behind this is that (1) it is a "natural warm-up, an appetizer if you will" (2) heightens the excitement of the main event and (3) provides time for the parents to get ready, wake up, turn on the camera, etc. The stocking holds only novelties and candy. Another person in this relationship believes they should be opened AFTER you have opened everything else. In this scenario, the stocking has all the usual stuff (lottery tickets, candy and whatever else) plus any accessories from the big presents (for example, if Santa left an iPod, there may be an iPod case in your stocking).

The quote marks around part of the before description (it is a "natural warm-up, an appetizer if you will") was my subtle way of telling you I didn't say it. I was trying to further prove my journalistic integrity to you people.

We need to get on the same page here, readers, otherwise I am going to be forced to settle all of my relationship dilemmas in couple's therapy and I don't think S is down with that.

Okay, back to the subject...why would you open stockings first? Why would you want a stocking with only novelties and candy? Wouldn't you rather have an iPod case or blinged out new earbuds or an iTunes gift certificate?*

Stockings are opened after in my family. It is the holding place. S argues that if Santa leaves you an iPod, the iPod case and blingy ear buds would be in the box with the iPod. This is a terrible idea. Quite possibly the worst idea ever. Why wouldn't you want to drag out the Christmas excitement even longer? Lame.

As Martinis or Diaper Genies said in the comments (although I think she may have cheated and voted for "before" but then left me an comment for "after" to try and cover herself): "wow this is a TOUGH one. Let me just make a case for after although I've done both and like before. You're totally done with your gifts and without fail, everytime I forget about the stocking. It's like the best surprise because you think it's over but it's not!"**

Hailey also gets props for putting at the end of her comment about doing it AFTER presents: "I don't know - its just what we have always done!"


Here is the moral of the story: Thanksgiving is S's family's big holiday. If he says we must eat rutabaga on this day, we will eat it. His rules go. By default this leaves me with Christmas, so if I say we do stockings the correct way (AFTER), then that's how it will be.


Thanks, interwebs, for trying your best to be helpful.***

Leave more Christmas or any holiday (including Columbus Day) traditions in the comments. Bonus points if you had to compromise on traditions because of marriage or relationship.




*Please do not send me your complaints about the commercialization of Christmas. I don't want to hear about it. If you send or receive gifts on Christmas, you cannot complain that it has become a retail holiday instead of the Jesus' birthday. The topic of this post is how you open your gifts from Santa, not a moral or religious debate. Thanksomuch.


**Notice how I put quotes around it? That's because I was QUOTING someone.



***Seriously. More people voted than I expected. And I got all sorts of comments and e-mails that were fantastic. So, for real, good job.

22 comments:

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

Can I tell you I really really thought that you were the one voting for before! I voted for before to be a nice bloggy friend but I wanted to say why I thought after was (really) better.

Ah I am a slow slow friend.

Samma said...

Rutabagas are not my scene. I think it is their name. Not appetizing (unlike opening stocking before, which is very appetizing ;))

Jane said...

79% of the votes were CLEARLY wrong indeed! I was part of that 21% and thankfully so is my boyfriend, because if not, he would have some changing to do! I kid.. sort of.

Dollface said...

Good quote... p.s. it is totally fine to talk about holidays that make you happy like xmas or your birthday, is that a holiday? xxxoo

Cee said...

I am dissapointed in you haha. Our stockings (opened before) have waaaay more then just candy, that is where we get little fun things like gloves, underware and makeup.

My bf's family is kinda weird and not big in holidays so I am lobbying for them all but if I ever have to give one up I'll let him have Thanksgiving.

SabrinaFairchild said...

We always open stockings last that way after you open all your presents and you get a little sad that there is nothing else left..and then bam you remember you have your wonderful stocking! That's just how it goes in my family.

Whitney said...

Well, we open our stockings first definitely! LOVE that quote!

amy kelinda said...

Stocking before or after? My family has no stockings to open at all! Weird, huh? My parents always put up stockings, but nothing ever goes in them. I didn't even know you were supposed to put gifts in there until a friend told me so in the fourth grade.

Sweet Simplicity said...

haha! I didn't even think about the quotes!

Sole Matters said...

in celebration for my birthday..i mean, Columbus Day, i always celebrate for an entire week. (on second thought, maybe i do that because its my birthday!) which brings me to another point, why oh why cant we just have the 12th off and not the Monday before? lame!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Yay! I love opening mine after, too!

Dustjacket Attic said...

He he I missed out on all this voting, but was hughly entertained by post and comments!
xoxo

anotherfishinthesea said...

HA! I have to know,have you told S about the poll results?

landlocked bride said...

Haha! To defend myself, I told you I didn't vote (and I didn't). We don't do stockings in my house, so it wouldn't really matter to me. After I read your post, I asked the FI what he did, and he said he always did his stocking after. So, I guess by default, it would be after for us, since I have no qualms with either way.

happy_wife said...

Um, so yeah....um, I have never (I mean NEVER) heard of someone elses family eating rutabagas. Ever. I thought mine was the only one. I thought The Husband was going to spit out his drink when I read that to him. Now, I get that it is S's family and not yours, but sweet Jesus I am shocked. I will officially give you part of my regenerated liver to show you my undying devotion to you. And I would take me up on that offer for the liver sooner rather than later, FYI.

Janie

Midtown Girl said...

LOL - Martini's comment!!

I can't stop laughing...

Your post brightened my day..I LOVE XMAS and your insight ;-)

Llama said...

Oh no! Im sorry that I am part of the 79% (dont hate me!) haha! Honestly, that is just the way my family has always done it...but I totally think your idea sounds fun! You and your hubby should make up your own new traditions and dont worry about all of the family stuff...it will all work out! Just be happy to be happy and love your time together! xo

Glamour Girl said...

You are so right!!!! There's nothing better than opening all of your presents and totally forgetting about the stockings and then when you do remember it's like,"BONUS!" And, yes! You do get the accessories that go along with the big gifts. DUH!!!

sarah said...

Janie,

Please start blogging IMMEDIATELY.

S's family is VERY SERIOUS about the rutabaga (did you know I had to Google that to even know how to spell it? Sad.) and require everyone to try it on Thanksgiving.

Can you please bring your liver by my office this afternoon? I may need it this weekend. Thanks.

Perfectly Pleasant said...

I didn't vote before because my family never did stockings... but I can see the point in opening them after -- if you had an itunes giftcard in your stocking and didn't have an ipod the cat might be out of the bag.

And, I have no idea what rutabaga is but it sounds gross -- I'm sorry you have to eat it.

Sarah - La Jeune Marie said...

I had no idea this was a debate! Stockings after always... because I want the sparkley ear buds, of course! ;)

mamagooch said...

Open stockings after, after after! I wholeheartedly agree. The thought of opening before just seems... WRONG.