Thursday, December 10, 2009

Only in Texas.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Yesterday ended up being a great day, even if this year feels a lot older than last year.

As I had mentioned before, I got my birthday present over Thanksgiving (for those of you that had been asking it was a purse that I had been wanting...he surprised me when shopping...excellent move by S), and then yesterday S sent flowers at work, had some champagne when I got to his house (I'm shocked at the lack of hangover this morning) and we went to dinner here (I know it looks like a pretty random place, but it was authentically French and DELICIOUS).

Speaking of Paris...

(great segue, no?)

Only in Texas.



Welcome to Paris, Texas.

Per Wikipedia: "The city does not celebrate Bastille Day every July 14, though at one time local downtown merchants hosted Bastille Day sales. Local residents like the humorous slogan "Second Largest Paris in the World." (gosh, aren't Texans HILARIOUS?!?!) Following a tradition of American cities named Paris, a 65-foot replica of the Eiffel Tower was constructed in 1993. In 1998, presumably as a response to the 1993 construction of a 70-foot tower in Paris, Tennessee, the city placed a giant red cowboy hat atop the tower. The current tower is at least the second Eiffel Tower replica built in Paris; the first was constructed of wood and later destroyed by a tornado."

I really have nothing else to say about this. I will let the picture/Wikipedia speak for themselves.

sarah (signature)

15 comments:

amy kelinda said...

Way to go, Texans. Putting cowboy hats on stuff is always a good idea. Hahaha... sounds like D treated you right on your birthday! I'm going to have to scope out that restaurant some day as well. YAY!

Cee said...

Glad you had a nice birthday...Paris, Texas looks very lovely. I'll have to visit.

Miss Emily Anne said...

Yay for a great birthday!! Ha! Awesome picture. Why am I not surprised?!

Renee said...

Being that I've come from the west coast, recently transplanted in Texas from California, I don't consider Texas the mid west. For me, it's the middle east...Yes, I've been banned from bars for saying that out loud here. No one here gets it. That cowboy hat makes my point for me, thank you very much!

Shandal said...

Glad you had a great birthday!
Can't go wrong with a gift of a purse and flowers!

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

this must be a lie. REALLY?!

And S has the nerve to ask WHY I LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA?

Existential Waitress said...

Hi! I'm new here - I really enjoy your blog!
I was born in Texas and still have a lot of family that resides there. I really just don't get Texas. Nor do I want to. Putting a cowboy hat on the Eiffel Tower is just plain WRONG (but I kind of want to keep looking at it, as it has transfixed me in a David Hasselhoff singing/car crash sort of way).

Ams said...

Glad you had a good birthday :)

Bathwater said...

Can't wait to read the headlines--"Giant cowboy hats whisked away by tornado in Paris"

BTW-- Happy belated Birthday!

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

That's just weird.

Just Add Walter said...

happy belated birthday!!

that picture is too funny!!

anotherfishinthesea said...

The picture certainly does speak for itself!
And I'm glad you had a great bday, go S and yay for you!

Kristin said...

Ahhhhhhhh, Texas. You gotta love it.

At least I'm skinny said...

This in no way pertains to the current post but I made that hotsauce chicken dip recipe you posted a while ago for my xmas party this past Friday and it was amazing. I ate it for lunch today.

hotpants™ said...

Ha! I didn't know about the cowboy hat.