Friday, January 8, 2010

Fun Fact Friday.

I know we have had a couple of weeks off, but fun fact Friday is back!

First off, and in honor of it being Friday and 5 o'clock somewhere and all of that, I wanted to answer this question for Mrs. Sitcom: "What is your prediction for the 'Drink of the Future"? ie What should I imbibe copiously over the coming year? :)"

(sidenote: don't worry people. Your requests will be answered. Including a wedding update. Maybe this will become a weekly thing.)

My suggestion is to not go trendy. Not ever. When you do this, you inevitably end up looking like an asshole. When I see four girls sitting in a corner drinking cosmos, I know they believe they are all Carrie Bradshaw or Samantha or Charlotte (but definitely not Miranda...no one wants to be Miranda), but I digress...

You can't go wrong with wine. I prefer reds to whites, but that's me and I would probably prefer that you stick with whites so you stay the hell away from my bottle, but it's whatever. Champagne is also an excellent choice and classes up any occasion (true story: I had some last night with my nachos at the movie theater). One exception to this rule: sporting events. Don't be the weirdo at the baseball game with your plastic cup of wine. Drink a beer.

If we are talking cocktails, I say stick with the classics. My preference is the side car. A sidecar is essentially a brandy margarita. It's delicious and strong. But be careful, too many and you can wake up with beans in your hair (don't even ask).

No matter what you decide to go with, I want to give you all this advice for drinking in 2010:
(1) Never eat the fruit in the trashcan punch. Nothing good can come of it. I know someone who once lost their toga that way (for the record, not me).
(2) Never touch your mouth to the shot block. You have no idea what sort of diseases you could contract, especially if Ed Hardy types are there.

This week's fun fact:

Astronauts cannot burp in space.


Happy weekending!


sarah (signature)

23 comments:

hotpants™ said...

The Bible is the most shoplifted book.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

champagne does really class things up, doesn't it?

but how come i did not look too classy hurling in the corner of the subway station the next morning?

ouch.

they can't burb?

Ams said...

Am I allowed posting without adding a fun fact? I am scared. I remember this one time... MODG almost ate me alive because I didn't follow the rules. Are there rules? I am just going to press post so I don't just delete this business.

Happy Friday!

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

70% of what you look like has to do with what you eat. NOT exercise or any other skin product or any other BS you buy.

SEVENTY. Starve yourself pronto people.

AuntBT said...

House flies live on average for two weeks. Yuck.

jules said...

Some people say celery is a negative calorie food but the verdict still seems to be out.

I'm calling bullshit on your wine in the movie theater. Either I want to go to a theater that serves alcohol, or you brought your own in your purse which may (or may not?) negate the class factor. Either way, I still love it!

Hailey {HRH} said...

OMG dont you HATE those girls at the hockey/basketball/football/baseball games that are drinking their WINE!?!? i mean come on! you are a a sporting event. BEER is the only acceptable choice.

sarah said...

Ams, it's not a big deal or anything, but she'll probably kill you.

Ams said...

But I thought her pet peeve was Murder.
Shit. I am in trouble now!

jessalyn said...

one pound of peanut butter can typically contain up to 150 bug fragments and 5 rodent hairs.

meredith said...

the fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene. i found this fact particularly useful.

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

Ewww, jessaylyn! EW!

Amanda said...

Abraham Lincoln is the only U.S. president who was also a licensed bartender.

(I'd love to read a case someday where the criminals left koala fingerprints on the scene!)

Mrs. Sitcom said...

Wooo-hoooo, look at me, I'm the Guest of Honor.
....
Well, of course I am! Duh....

ANYway, gotta say I totally agree with all of the points on beverages.

A good vodka tonic won't do you wrong either -- totally helps you avoid the trendsters (Aside: happened to go to happy hour the night Sex & The City The Movie came out, and had to vom because there were GUYS -- people with WEENISES -- drinking COSMOS. I immediately confiscated all of their Man Cards. but I digress) and will also win points should you find yourself ordering drinks around a) your male boss b) male coworkers c) any male. You can also order a SPECIFIC VODKA or GIN martini very dry blah blah blah be specific, to impress the Man Friends.

Another question: did you go to one of those theaters where you can order, and they bring the food to your recliner seats????

Mrs. Sitcom said...

Also? Beans. Hair. Spill it.

Kiera said...

elephants are pregnant for two years. TWO YEARS.

WalkerBerk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At least I'm skinny said...

Fact - I just googled random facts because I was too lazy to get up and go to another room to confirm the numbers of my initial fact.

But I found this on the old internet and it is totally baller.

"During the fourteenth century, drinking molten gold and crushed emeralds was used as a treatment for the bubonic plague."


Then I started thinking that people would probably die from drinking red hot liquid lava gold and eating sharp emeralds and it didn't seem as great of a cure as it first did.

And that's my story.

jayme said...

25% of your bones are located in your feet.

Life at the White House said...

I think I stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago via Kelsey's blog (of the Seattle Smiths). I just have to say - ummmmm.......I LOVE it. No really. You say the things that I would normally say in conversation w/ a friend, etc..........however, everyone in North America reads my blog (not really, but my in-laws, parents, my best friends sister and mom....and whomever else those people have shared it with) and I catch myself editing posts time and time again as to not offend anyone.

Love the background too......and the quote in your header. Good work all around. :) Can't wait to read more.

-Darci

Kristin said...

Glad to know my bubbly obsession is chic!

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

I had to google b/c I needed a fact and don't randomly know random things. I came across this charming tidbit:

A random sampling of dollar bills from major cities found that more than 70 percent tested postive for the virus that causes genital warts.

Two comments: 1) Now my obsession with antibacterial handgel seems a lot more normal. 2) Obviously this means that cash is passe and we should all use our Platinum Am Ex cards as often as possible.

Midtown Girl said...

Love my glass of Prosecco - perfect drink for me ;-)