Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Picture of the Day: Hunter Wellies & Cowboy Boots

This is a new series here at ALME where we will discuss (read: judge) pictures taken by MODG. These sorts of posts allow her to take pictures of random shit with her new camera and it gives me topics to blog about. A win-win, really.

Let's begin.


This photo is titled "Hunter Wellies and Cowboy Boots" by the artist. While there is an interesting juxtaposition between the muddiness/puddles invoked by the wellies and the roughness/country-ness inspired by the cowboy boots, I can't help but wonder why the hell someone from Philly has cowboy boots. She insists that they are okay because they are Frye and they have never been worn, but it leaves me, the viewer/critic, feeling confused and lost. Does this make me an inferior Texan for not having cowboy boots?

Don't get my wrong. I love boots. I own over 10 pairs of boots (please don't tell S), so I get it...boots are cool. I don't own any wellies and this breaks my heart. We went to a football game earlier this fall and it was supposed to rain and all I wanted to wear with my dress were some GD Hunter wellies, but Nordstrom didn't have them in stock in my size and I didn't think of it soon enough to order tham and have them delivered in time, so I was depressed. But then it didn't rain. But I digress...

I love boots over jeans (in a cute way, not JLo way). I love jeans over boots. I think boots with skirts can be cute but I have never found some that work for me without looking tranny/hooker. S insists this is the hottest thing girls can ever wear. He even recognizes a woman who lives in his building based on the fact that she once wore a skirt with boots. Weird, I know.

Here in Tejas, the ladies love their boots with dresses/skirts. And by boots, I mean cowboy boots. In college towns, it is all the rage to pair them with a sundress for gameday. This can be acceptable in real (read: not college) life so long as your dress doesn't look like (1) it should be a shirt instead and (2) you don't look like you should be milking a cow. I also know this old woman who wears them a lot with peasant skirts (don't do that).

The point is boots in general are awesome. And I will judge you however you decide to wear them.

Discuss (and leave suggestions for pictures).

Also, don't forget to weigh in on the MODG coming to the wedding debate.



sarah (signature)

26 comments:

AuntBT said...

This does not make you an inferior Texan, why you ask? Because they've never been worn. Plus, I'm one of the few of my friends that has regular old (aka not fashion type) cowboy boots, that wears them on a regular basis.

Would love to see pics of more jewelry, I'm always needing more ideas on how to dress better :)

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

its true I have not worn those cowboy boots. yet. remember, I live in Philly. It's not appropriate to look like you just left the barn or a Miley Cyrus concert. I have to be cool hipster chic.

J said...

I have wanted a pair of Hunters for a long time and was beyond thrilled when I discovered a pair recently at Off 5th Ave. Just a suggestion.

mamagooch said...

I WISH I could wear boots. There's nothing like a good pair of boots.
Here's my only issue with wearing them: I live in Florida, and would only be able to wear them for one week out of the year. Is that acceptable?

Kristin said...

I have a Frye pair that I adore...and I've worn those bad boys all over town. And as for the Hunters...One day the metallic pair will be mine!

At least I'm skinny said...

I am very much opposed to the wearing of boots with dresses/skirts.

At least I'm skinny said...

P.S. I voted yes (durrrrr!) in the wedding debate.

jessalyn said...

i saw a pic of kate hudson today in a sun dress and uggs and it made me furious.
i think other people can look adorable if boots are done properly. i can not pull them off as i have chicken legs and it just looks dumb.

for future pics: i vote more cats. can never have enough pics of cats being clever.

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

Not a boot fan. Too much shoe. Us So Cal'ers can't handle more than the flip flop.

I want pictures of all of her skin care products from her skin care regime.

Cee said...

I love boots! As far as the cowboy verison I did buy I $5 pair in college because 1)they were 5 bucks and 2) I figured they would be good for cowboy themed mixers. Which they were.

I do have some Steve Madden boots which are cowboy-esque. But not super cowish.

T said...

I just bought my 1st pair (hides head in shame) of cowboy boots and I've only lived in Texas for a little over 25 years.............

jules said...

Peasant skits with cowboy boots its a terrible idea based on its utter unoriginality. The thought makes me want to die.

"Julie" said...

maybe when/if MODG makes it to Tejas, she can finally have a reason to wear her boots?

Mrs. Sitcom said...

Looooove the Wellies! And I also love cowboy boots but don't know if I can pull them off...or I don't feel like spending $400 on a novelty item. You decide.

Brown Girl said...

I don't get the big deal on the Hunter Wellies?? I mean what's so great about a freaking pair of rain boots? But I can get down with some cool cowboy boots or otk boots.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Frye's and Hunters are fabulous. But I'm a label whore.

carrie1 said...

Ahh... I am still in the search for a perfect cowgirl boot for me! I like the idea, but feel that my heffer legs won't make them look good! =(

And I just spotted a pair of Burberry Wellies that I adore... so I must start saving for those too......

P.S. Sarah's Boo... if you are reading this, I think it would be a FaNtAsTiC idea that MODG and mate join you and your finance on the day of your wedded bliss!

Please & Thank you!

carrie1 said...

Ahh... I am still in the search for a perfect cowgirl boot for me! I like the idea, but feel that my heffer legs won't make them look good! =(

And I just spotted a pair of Burberry Wellies that I adore... so I must start saving for those too......

P.S. Sarah's Boo... if you are reading this, I think it would be a FaNtAsTiC idea that MODG and mate join you and your finance on the day of your wedded bliss!

Please & Thank you!

HoustonGurly said...

Sadly, I too am a Texan and do not own a pair of cowgirl boots... I've been looking into getting a pair, but am not sure which brand/style I want. Much research is needed.

I do, however, own a pair of black leather, knee-high boots... I pair them with jeans or black slacks always. I am not brave enought to attempt the skirt/boot combo, as I feel this would make my legs look stumpy. Stumpy is NEVER good.

Amanda said...

ha, I have a feeling this series is going to be a-ma-zing.
And yes, MODG should totes be allowed to come to your wedding. I found her letter very persuasive :)

amy kelinda said...

I'm a Texan and I don't own cowboy boots.

...

Then again, I'm also Chinese. I don't know what that means other than that I haven't really seen a Chinese person wear cowboy boots. Like, at all. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Jay said...

You really do have a great blog here. I have a blog myself which brings inspiration and guidance to people all around the world. Life is hard enough, and I hope my site can contribute anything positive to someone's day.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible. Until then, keep up the good work.

Jason
TheWISDOMWALL.com

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

YES to BOOTS!

NOOOO to BOOTS! with sundresses. Ever. Even in college. Even in TX.

YES to BOOTS! with skirts. Hard to pull off, though. Have you tried an over-the-knee latex pair? I find those are especially classy and work well in all situations. Including work and dinner with in-laws.

Jaime said...

MODG needs to wear those cowboy boots and stat! They are fab. I just got a pair of Frye Campus boots. Love.

Existential Waitress said...

I do not own cowboy boots (being born in Texas and growing up in Wyoming pretty much scarred me for life in terms of the whole "cowgirl" look), but I am a boot ADDICT (please don't tell my hubs either). I think MODG should of course come to the wedding - then she could finally wear the cowboy boots (a cute look for many, but never for me)!

ZDub said...

Cowboy boots are a YES.