Thursday, February 25, 2010

Only in Texas.

Sorry for the hiatus. But I'm back.

Last weekend S and I had a thing. Let me start by saying that I was wary about this "thing" from the moment we received the invitation. The attire called for "dressy denim and boots."

When we got there, this was what we pulled up to.


I know it looks like it was taken by a drunk.  It wasn't.  **pinky swears** We were being rushed up the driveway because people were behind us and S forced me to speed the process along.  But what you can see is a country club with a big ass Texas flag across the front.  Only in Texas.

Which leads me to the outfit that Texas is proud of: the Texas Tux.

There is some debate on what this ensemble includes.

Per urbandictionary.com: "Denim jacket, denim jeans, often accompanied by a bolo tie and denim shirt. May include cowboy boots and/or cowboy hat"  I have never heard it described this way.  I would hope even Texans would think twice before showing up in something like that.

WikiAnswers is more on board for the definition as I know it: "Texas Tux is tuxedo worn with jeans, cowboy boots, and cowboy hat. Often the cummerbund is replaced with a large belt buckle as well. Hence, only the tux shirt, jacket, and bow-tie remain from the original tuxedo."

Basically, it looks like this:


Snazzy, no?

sarah (signature)

27 comments:

MODG said...

ugh tejeas. To me you make my heart sing. It's kind of like my friend who may have a live tiger walk her down the aisle at her wedding.

you get that comparison right?

perfectionishuman said...

i dont know... the texas tux could grow on my depending on who was working it!

Jaime said...

That is a loooot of Texas pride! haha

HoustonGurly said...

I <3 Texas! Although, I made my husband wear a REAL tux for our Texas wedding... I've seen some SCARY Texas weddings, let me tell ya!

DREW'S MOM said...

Oh wow.. No thank you... Keep that mess in Texas.

Jane said...

That is one cl-ass-y look. Yee haw.

Mrs. Sitcom said...

Sheeee-yoot, that's shhhexy! I'm, like, crazy-jealous.

Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic said...

ack! No means no! I'm going to guess this is what the audience looks like at the CMT awards as well. Wow.

I hope the party itself was a good time.

Kristin said...

Where are the pics of your outfit lady??

Teresa said...

Oh dear God...

Cee said...

I have no words for that.

but Welcome Back.

Dollface said...

thats hideous

amy kelinda said...

Oh god, the Texas tux. When I was in high school, our prom actually prohibited people from showing up wearing the Texas tux. Really. It was in the rule sheet that was posted everywhere. I don't know why my high school decided it was too good for the Texas tux, seeing as how our prom was held at a crappy Marriott hotel with balloons and glitter as decor.

lschro said...

I saw that big ass TX flag at the country club and was wondering what it was for.

I speak for a number of native Texans when I say that the Texas Tux is NOT okay. Not ever.

Sarah RDH said...

Is that your fiance wearing the Texas tux? Why doesn't he have some pride & show his face? js.

Nikki said...

There's nothing hotter than a cowboy dressed for a wedding. The only thing missing is that skinny rope tie thing that cowboys sometimes wear.

jules said...

WHile I don't condone the wiki answer to this Texas Tux, it does seem better than the urban dictionary one. We can assume S was not donning this right?

Oughta Say No said...

eeeegads!

tinypaperheart said...

love the texas tux :)

Brown Girl said...

That is all kinds of wrong. I am tossing up the tuxedo t shirt idea with M. It's growing on me.

Milltini said...

god bless texas (said in the same tone that older southern women use when they say "bless their heart")....

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

I am distracted by MODGs comment - a LIVE tiger? I am going to need more information on that.

And, the Texas tux is not as bad as the real tux wore with dirty sneakers and baseball cap, as seen in Baltimore.

ZDub said...

What did you wear? Photos.

FashionAddict said...

Sooooo, do they rent the whole tux and then just swap out the pants? Or can you just rent the jackets in TX? I was just thinking of how much more wrong it is if you pay for the whole tux...
As always, thanks for the humor. It's much needed on a Monday.

Kimberly said...

Real Texans would not wear jeans that look that poorly with a dress jacket. Come on...do better.

Laurel said...

hott.

Krysta said...

I've always known the Canadian Tuxedo to be the jean jacket with jeans. A three piece if one sports the denim shirt with it. I think I might like this Texas Tux more!