Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Open Letter.

Dear Santa Barbara,

Thank you so much for hosting S and I a couple of weeks ago. We had an amazing time visiting you and hope to eventually make it back there. Despite the creepy/weird/maybe-a-kidnapper-but-I'm-not-really-sure-and-don't-want-to-judge Italian teenager running the front desk at check-in, the bed & breakfast (once again, after a rocky start with a funny smell) ended up being perfect. It wasn't their fault that the last few times we have picked completely random hotels off the internet based on Google Maps and pretty pictures they were absolutely perfect. Your friend and neighbor Los Olivos was pretty amaze balls too. Great wine and nice people.



I liked you. I really did. I even liked you so much I recommended you to my friend MODG (maybe when she's in a famous H&M ad she can do her shoot with you).

Santa Barbara, you and I both know you're gorgeous, so I will just cut to the chase...

Before our trip everyone asked if we had done any traveling in California. I explained and so did S. When we mentioned our last trip was to Laguna Beach, everyone turned their noses up at us. Called us yuppies and snobs. According to everyone, Laguna Beach is too rich. Basically a suburb for LA. Everyone said nothing could beat the "artist hamlet" that is Santa Barbara. So quaint. Perfect small town. On and on and on everyone went.

Well, Santa Barbara, everyone is a liar. When State Street includes a Saks Fifth Avenue, Forever 21 and multiple Starbucks, you are no longer allowed to call yourself "quaint." Not even an artist beach fair will help you claim that title. No, I am not arguing with good shopping. I love good shopping just about as much as I love wine and babies, but a Macy's and an Restoration Hardware are sort of the anti-artist.

You do have gorgeous mountain views and badass beach scenery, so no worries, we'll be back.



Until next time...

Hugs,

Sarah

sarah (signature)

17 comments:

Nikki said...

Those views are insanely beautiful...about as beautiful as I am jealous of your fun vacation and wine drinking. I can't believe I never went to Santa Barabara when I lived in CA. I blame it on the parents and being under 18.

MODG said...

Yes we did stop in SB thanks to this recommendation. NOT quaint. super awesome but not quaint.
Literally the size and beauty though of the forever21 brought tears to my eyes.

Milltini said...

SB...busted.

ZDub said...

SB is so not quaint. Try a money grubbing whore face.

You want quaint? Take your ass up the coast to San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay. (Zoe and I were both born in San Luis Obispo so it's awesome.) Also, Los Olivos rocks my face off as does Solvang.

amy kelinda said...

Beaaaautiful! I know quite a few bloggers who trekked up to Santa Barbara this year. Am I missing something? Was there a mass blogging pilgrimage that I didn't get the memo for?

Meagan@Megs7827 said...

We honeymooned in Santa Barbara. Stayed at the four seasons like we were Kardashians or Bill and Guiliana. I LOOOOVVVE SB!

Salt said...

Gah! I miss it! I'm glad you had fun. I tripped and fell on my face in front of one of those Starbucks.

Kristin said...

Wow, have things changed. I haven't been there since I was 16 but I certainly remember it being quaint. Not a F21 in sight!

Britney said...

where did you stay? my husband and I are going up there in a couple weeks for a concert and have no clue where to stay! thanks:)

Elizabeth Marie said...

Find me a quaint place in Cali. There are no more. YAY BIG FOREVER 21's!

Lady email me your shipping addy!!

Rach said...

ooooooh you know I love me an open letter... it can only mean that a serious airing of grievances is in the offing!

those pics are enough to make me check it out, though. "quaint" is in the eye of the card-swiper; for me, roughing it means no room service!

mamagooch said...

I looooooooove California. Not going to lie: I turned a little green when I read this.

Llama said...

S-O-L-D!
Must see!!!

Sarah said...

I will have to add Santa Barbara to my wishlist:)

MrsDixon said...

This is too true and so funny they still market themselves this way!

Laurel said...

oh I can not wait for our vaca... yours sounded wonderful despite the restoration hardware store.
PS no worries on the dress.. I would just love to see it!
:)

sanjeet said...

I'm glad you had fun
free classified india